13 October 2008

Lifestlye SA festival- Celebrating Black

The Festival was held at the Kenilworth Race course and I went through on Saturday to go check it out. They had a line-up that included comedians, poets, musicians, panel discussions as well as money game shows (don't ask). In sticking to the theme of "celebrating black", I arrived a little late and missed the opening. Lucky for me they repeated it late (because lots of other people arrived much later than I did, so technically I was early) in the afternoon and I got to see the poetry section as well as comedian Tumi Morake (whom I had missed earlier). Another comedian, Eugene Khoza, performed and Stuart Taylor (you guessed it, he is also a comedian) was the host. I am telling you, the comedians are taking over, forget what you've heard. Then we had panel discussions on BEE (Black Economic Empowerment), property and success. The first two discussions were kinda ok, the men and ladies did look rather dashing in their nice suits, glasses and sounded so smart using big words while the rest of us pretended to be interested. The last discussion on success was badly timed. I mean, the last thing you want to hear at 19h30 on a Saturday evening is three people discussing how wonderful Stellenbosch University is and how the middle class is suffering from a case of BEE-induced "affluenza"...*yawn*. The real reason why we all sat through all that was so that we can see HHP, Jimmy Dludlu and Ringo Madlingozi perform, and they didn't disappoint. Although, hearing Ringo perform live did bring back bad memories of my med-student roomie playing his music when I was trying to sleep. I took a couple of bad pictures for your pleasure, enjoy!! Ringo Madlingozi in all his glory, I can't hate though. Although i missed most of his performance, I was singing along at some point. Hip Hop Pantsula (hhp) a.k.a Jabba invited Jimmy Dludlu diring his set and they gave a killer performance. Jimmy Dludlu was amazing. I am now a fan. After being force-fed his music by my dad and sister, i enjoyed listening to him on my own terms and he is great. (wait till my sister hears this lol)
Part of the Poerty delight set, Metabolism and Xoliswa during the opening sequence. Zandile Dlamini doing her poem "Put your gun down". Mbali Vilakazi closing the show with her piece, "love says"

3 comments:

po said...

Sounds like a good time? I love comediens, and to be honest I have never seen a black South African one! I would love it!

neolithic said...

im sure there may be some youtube vids of the comedians I mentioned, somewhere on the net.

I will try and upload a vid I make of Tumi Morake at the show, she's funny

po said...

Cool stuff.