01 December 2008

the annoying soccer fan

If you have ever sat in bus, taxi, train, plane or whatever mode of transport that requires that you share you space with relative strangers, you might have encountered him/her. To be fair, I have only ever met male ones but since I am an equal-opportunity blogger, I aknowledge that female ones do exist as well and they are just as annoying. Yes, I am talking about the annoying soccer fans. They come in all shapes and sizes, colours and creed and wear "their" team's soccer kit in public. Most of them are not very athletic, with obesity being as it is, but they wear sporty clothes nonetheless... be it Orlando Pirates, Chiefs, Chelsea or whatever else. I prefer the one in their soccer kits/gear (I dunno what to call them) because they are easily avoidable. Spot one in the bus and I go seat as far away from them as possible, if it's after a big match then I catch the next bus. Surely being late is a small price to pay... But the tricky part comes when they are not wearing their sports attire and look just like the rest of us and before you know it, you are spending the rest of your two hour flight sitting next to a guy/girl who assumes that u give a toss about last night's match and the "offiside" and "freekick" and what not. What is it about soccer fans that makes them assume that you are one of them? I mean it really doesnt help to politely answer "no I do not watch soccer" they just continue talking your ear off about the match and all the boring details that they feel are of national importance that they feel, I (the declared non-fan) should know. I mean, the audasity!!! It's not just soccer though, it happens with rugby, cricket, and all other sports. But the soccer fans are the most annoying and with 2010 coming swiftly along, there is no escaping them... the horror!!!

No comments: