21 May 2010

first month in the newsroom

http://www.old-picture.com/american-legacy/001/Newsroom-1920s-the-of.htm


I know that the month is not over yet. There is still another week to go but when have I ever let a small thing like fact get in the way of me having an unoriginal headline for my blog entry?
Any I will start off my saying that I have been having an awesome time. I think I love working for a weekend title (Weekend Argus in Cape Town) and I think this was the right placement for me.
Walking into the newsroom is like a big hall with journalists/editors/subeditors typing away like a human sweat shop that produces news. There are no cubicles so have people in your face all the time. So if you wake up in a bad mood or your boyfriend pisses you off on the phone, you have absolutely no privacy. So you kinda have to suck it up and get on with it or go cry in the bathroom or something. You know? This is not a place for sissy little girls or boys.
That whole paragraph was a little misleading but that was how it felt on the first day. Gradually I have gotten used to the newsroom and I quite enjoy it now.
I work with a very small team and I sit right behind the news editor. His name is Ryan and he has a really deep voice. His voice reminds me of James Earl Jones in that movie “Cry the beloved Country.” But besides that he is not that scary, he is very patient with me and helps me a lot with my stories. So my first week there I got a story that I have been working on with Wendyl and Ayanda on the front page of the Weekend Lifestyle Section. If you have been reading this blog, you would know that Wendyl, Ayanda and I formed a bad-ass group called News-Hacks while we were still in the cadet school. And towards the end of our days at the Cadet School, we spend many late night working on our story. We didn’t leave the office until 10 or sometimes 11pm. We checked and re-cheked and edited and fought over what should go where. And when all else failed we went to Mojito’s with the other cadets for happy Hour and then got back to work.
So front page of the Lifestyle section was not bad at all. I am very pround of the News-Hacks and wish my teammates were in Durban, so we could do more front page stories.
I am loving the Weekend as I get to write longer. And for someone like me who likes to talk too much, this means a lot because I can now talk less and write more.

No comments: