06 December 2008

Go Natural and Organic or Go home

That was the name of the expo held at the Cape Town Convention Centre. Now, I am not too sure about that name (I always have a problem with names). It's just not catchy enough, I mean that phrase, "Go blah blah blah Or go home" is so 90's... no one speaks like that anymore!!! Anyway, the fashion show (pictures) was called "No KaK" which means "no Poo" (for lack of a more socially-acceptable-word) in Afrikaans. It was kind of boring watching these ladies parade around in clothes dyed in Beetroot water, tea, coffee and what ever else. The only consoling factor for me was that some of the design student were from my campus, so it was nice hearing TUT mentioned every once in a while... but that's about it. The talks were interesting, as expected we had someone remind us that the world is in chaos, its our fault and only "going green" is going to save the planet (apparenly). Then we had a lady, Anthea Torr, basically telling us that you can't be a "greenie" and not be vegan. She is vegan, and so is her entire family (including the dog). After her drawn-out talk with the soccer-moms asking her for ways to trick kids into eating vegetables, I went in search of free stuff since Pick n Pay handed us these huge shopper bags. I landed up at their food stall for some free organic coffee and tea as well as scones and what not. So my coffeee supply for the day was taken care of, by the time I left the expo I was still not sure if organic coffee tasted better than my regular filter coffee. I checked out the stalls, the natural and organic market is growing, solar this, hybrid that, suddenly I had new "greenie" words to annoy my friends with. From shopper bags to make-up and food, even wine...would you believe "organic red wine" but they all taste the same to me.

No comments: