16 March 2009

Snakes on the Plain

Im sure you already know where I am going with this. But really, what would the point of having a blog be, if I couldn't even state the obvious. I mean I am bored stiff, so u might as well indulge me as I whine about another week in the bundus on the Agulhas Plain.
A whole week has gone by and we have seen about 3 snakes, they are apparenly called "pofadders". I am a city girl so I can't be expected to remember how to spell all the names. It's hard enough coming to terms with the fact that fynbos is not a plant but a group of species. Information overload.
But what I don't get is why the people seem so shocked at the sight of these snakes. I mean we are living in the middle of nowhere, surely they have seen poisonous snakes before? But every time a snake has been "spotted" everything has to stop so we can give the poisonous thing our undevided attention. Last night I decided, an episode of Carte Blanche was more important that seeing a poisonous snake run accross the veld.
I mean, give the damned thing some privacy why don't you!
But the truth is I am scared of getting bitten. I like Snakes when they are far far away, on tv, at the Zoo etc. Having had a close look at the "pofadder" it looks kinda pretty, reminds me of a belt, maybe even shoes...

1 comment:

neolithic said...

that they are. But becoz there is a chick who's been bitten by one and I've seen what they do, id rather keep away from the evil buggers