23 March 2009

Tired of the Agulhas Plain or just plain homesick

Yeah like you didn't see it coming? I have just about had enough of the bundus. It's almost a year since I moved to go live amongst the trees and all things natural and yeah I think that saying 'quit while you're ahead" springs to mind at this minute.That and the fact that one of my friends accused me of being a hippie today and the only answer I could come up with was "not necessarily". So I have decided that I need to move back to the city, although I still like the slower pace of Slaapstad, I might wana be back in Johazadousberg or even Pretoria, haven't decided yet. Although being a war correspondent for Aljazeera wouldn't be a bad option at all. Something about Aljazeera just makes me wana pack up my little suitcase and move to Doha. I almost did it once till I realised I couldn't even afford a bus-ticket to Paarl let alone a one-way ticket to Doha. The thing abour spending a while in the middle of nowhere is that it actually makes you weird, especially working in conservation. The people are too nice, it's so weird. Must be something about "saving the Earth" that guarantees that you stay bright and chirpy all day everyday. All this talk about "alien" (trees) and recycling has my friends thinking I am few slices short of a loaf. I even tried to convince a few guy friends that the soles of their sneakers can be recycled to make new basketball court. Obviously this is not the kind of thing you want to hear during a drinking session. But really enough is enough. I miss the bloody concrete jungle. I am homesick. But most of all I miss hanging out with my friends and going out and bitching about the traffic.. would you beleive? I actually miss being stuck in N1 traffic. Now that's crazy.

No comments: