22 April 2009

International Jazz Festival not much of a feast

Mos Def
Zaki Ibrahim
340ml
You know every major festival needs a headliner, that one person who is gonna make you leave your bottle of red and the warmth of your home, to go stand on your feet till the early hours of the morning, while drinking out of a plastic cup and basically freezing ur ass off to death....
And I happily trodded along to the jazzfest because the headliner was none other than Mos Def. I mean he is a great rapper/sometimes actor/ and he's cute, more than enough reason to go to the show. But he was only to come on at like 10pm and I got there at about 5pm. So my friends and I went to see Zaki Ibrahim's performance, and she was beautiful, didn't disappoint. Then we saw 340ml, Rus Newhich (forgive my spelling) and they were cool too.
It was a nice build-up. As I was sipping out my plastic cup and eating fish/calamari and chips with my friends, I really didnt mind that I hadn't had a seat for the past four hours because Mos Def was about to blow us away. But a few songs into his set I really wished I was sitting down because he was singing "toxic" and tripping over his own band while I was standing there waiting for him to start rapping. I was disappointed. But what the hell was I expecting? It was a Jazz festival afterall.
So I dragged adecided to w friend of mine inside the main venue so we can see some real jazz and what else was up. There was an uninspiring exhibition of pictures of the late Merriam Makeba. I don't know about you, but I have seen better pics of Merriam in the local press than I did in that room. The only pic that I liked was one of her with her back to the camera on the stage performing.
Then nature calls and while standing in a long queue to relieve myself, I hear Hugh Masekela absolutely killing it in the venue next door to the loo. I see a few minutes of his performance because he was doing his last few songs and I really wished I had been there instead. He seemed like the real headliner of the show...for me at least!

No comments: