29 April 2009

I met a mirl, finally

Boy must it suck to be a man these days! What with wearing pink and skinny jeans between 3 step beauty routines, you would think the "butch" man was slowly going into extinction. And as we know, pop culture is always quick to come up with convinient little annoying names for anything from Brangelina to Earworms (irritating songs that u can't help but sing along to .. think Katty Perry "I kissed a girl"). There is a term for the pink wearing, manicured, "girly maN" and he is known as a mirl...get it? girl? mirl? yeah I know, u kinda slow.. I think I may have encountered a mirl. Details are a bit hazy because I was knocking back J&B and lemonades on the flight back to Cape Town, so I may have dreamed him up. I mean its not everyday when one gets upgraded from Kulula (where there is a spaza shop on the flight) to British Airways, where I can be served as many J&Bs as my poor liver can handle by really cute flight attendants in tight pants. Back to why it sucks to be a man... So I was excitedly telling my friends that a mirl doesn't only exist in Cosmo magazine, and that I had met a guy who upon meeting me had guessed my bra and dress size as well as my age correctly and he didn't seem gay. I think he had superpowers (thats my story and I am sticking to it). Obviously I am expecting them to be on some "yeah, that's perfectly normally" but instead I get responses like "that guy is gay" etc etc. It didn't help that my "friends" were actually random facebook friends and this discussion was taking place on my status update and most of the responses were from men. I have noticed how the "pink" factor has made it so much easier for us to (wrongly) classify people. Take the fact that I spend all my time with my female friends and cousins, and some of which haven't been in relationships for a while and we are all immediately called a bunch of lesbians. It also doesnt help that took a trip to Cape Town and stayed at the most "pink" area one can find in the cbd, Green Point, and we didn't realise that our favourite eating spot was a gay bar, besides the guy in the menu with no clothes on..

2 comments:

Colleen said...

I'd personally love to see the extinction of butch men as truly they've pretty much ruined the world. Some major tweaks in child rearing practices and that style of boy would be no more! Ba bye!
And at this point the less breeding that goes on the better.
As for macho men who are homophobes, they are just closet cases fighting the little turn on they have over it all or fear of a turn-on and bigotry is always about self hate directed outward.
That people have to observe you with your groups of women and label you shows their mysogyny, not wanting women to have the freedom to be out there in a powerful group of women..
If the world didn't have gay and lesbian people, how utterly boring it would be. Unbearable.
Straights need to get over all the silliness in their heads about everything. They're so damn silly and stupid about gender and sexuality but then this species of ours is totally fucked isn't it.

neolithic said...

"bigotry is always about self hate directed outwards" that is so true