03 August 2009

late again

You have no idea how excited my broke-ass was when I found out that the train would be costing me round about a R100 bucks a month to get to Stellenbosch from Cape Town. I think I even did a little dance at the station after I was told this wonderful news. But as is always the case in my life, this excitement only lasted for about three days. Because, you see, it took only three days before I was late for work. Can you imagine being the new guy in lilly-white Stellenbosch amongst the "conservation" crowd and then arriving late for work?? Well it is not a good feeling. They all sort of shrug and whisper "Africa Time" under their breath. Ok so I made up that last bit. So since I have started here I have been late every single week for at least one day. Either a Wednesday or a Friday. The consistency baffles me. Like today, as was the case last Wednesday I was actually early for my train. Last Wednesday I watched my train chut-chutting past me and today, well... I just happened to get on the first one on the platform which happened to be the wrong one. I should have known when the people started singing charismatically that that could not have been my train because on my train the people are always sour and they do a lot of PDR (public display of reading). So being the only one PDR in a carriage of singing and preaching commuters should have served as a warning sign, but alas. I ended up in a place called Kraaifontein instead of Stellenbosch. All this would've been no sweat for me since I was sharing an office with the others non-office having intern/student types. But my boss had a bright idea that I should share an office with her. Which means that I have to do a walk of shame in the morning past all my seniors (who are always early) to get to my office. Shit! I think I need a car.

4 comments:

po said...

Ag shame! Ending up in Kraaifontein! I have done similar things many times in the UK. I have ended up in the weirdest places by mistake in the middle of the night. One time I had to sleep outside the station. Not fun!

You can't move to Stellenbosch?

neolithic said...

I can but I really love my current home Po. U should write about ur London train experiences, sounds hilarious but glad u safe.

po said...

I understand how you feel. At the moment I commute for an hour each day too to avoid moving. You get used to it I spose?

neolithic said...

no ways, im on the train for an hour two hahahhaha (on the other side of the world)

Yeah i guess.