10 September 2009

Bittersweet weekend...

You know what? Sometimes life happens when you are busy making plans, i think some smart person already coined a phrase like that so i can't claim it as my own. But i really understood it's meaning this past week. I went back to Pretoria to go graduate (yay!) so now i fit everyone's description of a journalism graduate and I have the happy snaps in that hot robe and funny cap to prove it. Somebody please explain to me why we still need to wear that hideous regalia for graduation? We all look rediculous in them anyway and what is the point of spending money on a dress if it is to be hidden underneath a hot, ill-fitting gown? Anyway we had Dr Mohau Pheko giving a speech while we baked in those hot gowns some more. i have never really been a fan of this woman as I found the column she wrote in the Sunday Times (SA version) rather uninspiring. Or maybe what she was writing about went over my head since I was "too young" to understand. Whatever it is. I liked her that day. She gave an inspiring speech about how we shouldn't be graduate who have nothing to invent better than CVs. So all the engineers must bloody well invent something and the same with the journos, the IT and the rest of the people who were seated there. Even my dad was impressed because he kept asking me to get the speech for her. I still do not understand how he expects me to perform this feat. After that came four days of friends, family, Southern Comfort, long Island Iced Teas and Mojitoes. All the things that make me feel like I was crazy to leave sunny PTA for the gloomy Cape Town to go be a tree-hugging writer (of sorts). Then Sunday came. Someone felt it their duty to sms me at 2am, telling me that my childhood friend passed away. I do not think that was the best way to hear the news, But hey, who am i to stand in the way of someone who wanted to be the "first" to break the news to me. So now, a few days later, after all my excitement of going home. I came back sadder that ever. You know, life just happened while I was busy making plans....

2 comments:

po said...

It is pretty harsh to hear about your friend's death by sms. Could they not have phoned you?

neolithic said...

I think they call it "cheerful cruelty" Po