11 September 2007

a wine shop at the V&A Waterfront

I was in the fairest Cape last month and had a ball of a time with my buddies from campus. We did the usual tourist spots like Robben Island and the rest. I won't bore you with the details but I will tell you about a wine shop we frequented in the V&A waterfront...and no we are not alcoholics! We pretty much fancy ourselves as wine affectionates of note, so we thought what would a trip to the CT be, without a visit to a local wine shop to see if we are missing out on anything in Gauteng. We weren't disappointed at all. I might not have tasted a hint of raspberry, vanilla or oak in my wine but I know a good bottle when I have one...so we were in Mini-wine heaven. It also helped that the wine shop was 5 minutes away from the digs we were staying at and the staff was supper-friendly (and that's saying a lot after all the gloomy people we met in CT). So we had a daily ritual of going to the shop for some, er, refreshment and a light conversation with the helpful staff. During our last day there, we discovered that the owner of the shop was moving and decided to sell some of his books at the shop, so we bought some great titles for less than R20 bucks. Our goobye was an emotional one, I mean I almost shed a tear when I thought that I would now have to be content with i.e wine that my local Shoprite Checkers has on offer(the horror!)...and the weather was not half bad that week actually! Who would have thought that snooty Cape town had some hidden treasures, not me!!! PS: long street was dope as well, but that's a story for another day...

2 comments:

nelsizwe said...

cool staff, wine are da best but for sum of us we prefer Black label i think i must i-wine neh maybe......it will have a 0.0001% chance dat i will drink it. Dat means you wer drunk every dag in kaapstad er!!! tyk it slow speed kills and i wish Lotto was back so i can afford to go back to Cape and spend a nyt in long street but i hope you enjoyed yourself there

neolithic said...

nels: cape was the best just wish that u wud stop bitching about the weather, but u know who to invite wen u go bck to CT!!