16 October 2007

my lecturer the Academic Assassin

I hardly complain about my lecturers, they are nice people, a bit senile but nice. I get along with most of them because I do my work and get really good marks every once in a while. But there is this one lecturer though, who may or may not be our HOD. That guy intimidates the hell out of me, so I avoid him like the plague. During our Cape Town trip he couldn't be avoided. I was in his group so was with him on most of our excursion. When we went to the Navy in Simon's Town he was busy correcting our tour guide (very irritating) when he was giving us background info on the ships, missions and stuff. The poor guy was so embarrassed that he went to verify his facts, only to find that the Academic Assassin, who may or may not be our HOD, was right. It also didn't help me much that I'm SUCH A LOUD MOUTH!!! So, I found myself out of my depth when I ended up in a conversation with him about journalism, BIG MISTAKE!!! I felt so small that I ended up asking him for his badge which read "when I grow up I want to be a journalist". That got him to flash a smile, which was an achievement of sorts because in the two years that I have been on campus, I've never seen him smile...ever! For those two seconds I felt really, really clever...plus he promised to get one of those badges for me (Like I believed him). I think he was just trying to get me to shut up, think my mother used that tactic on me as well when I was annoying her during an episode of the young and the restless. But now he moved our farewell ceremony to a Thursday afternoon instead of a Friday night just so we can come to campus (hangovers and all) on the Friday...damn!!! Just when I was beggining to like the guy.

No comments: