15 October 2007

newspaper fatigue

On any given weekday, I go through about 4 newspapers i.e Daily Sun (dont ask!) The Times, The Citizen and Pretoria News. I believe that this gives me a well rounded view on the news of the day...I get different views on the same stories, but the real reason is that all my lecturers insist on giving us ambush tests every once in a while, so I think it best to be prepared. Of late I've been dreading opening up a newspaper because it's just so many pages of the same things and looking at the pile is even more disheatening... I'm suffering from a severe case of "Newspaper fatigue". I'm not sure if the term exists yet but I'm sure some therapist out there will soon claim it as their own so I won't even bother copyrighting it. The problem is that I actually like reading, a lot, but doing it because I have to just sapps out all the enjoyment I gannered from reading a well written piece or column. On weekends I hardly miss a copy of the M&G and the Sunday Times. So you can imagine my sho ck at the news that Mondli Makhanya, Sunday Times editor and one of his journalists might be arrested as a result of their expose on the Health minister. This is really terrible news because I doubt that the Mbeki admin can stood any lower. Trampling on freedom of speech of the media is a very stupid move. So, now we are a few arrests short of turning into Zimbabwe, we are already catching up fast it the power cuts, excuse me, load -shedding are anything to go by...

No comments: